With some on-hand ingredients from the pantry you can whip up this quick change to boring, old pasta night.
- 1lb box, penne pasta
- 1 cup of your favorite jarred pasta sauce
- 1, clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp, olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup, heavy cream
- 4 tbsp, unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp, dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp, dried basil
- 1 cup, frozen broccoli
- Kosher Salt and ground pepper
- Fill pasta pot 2/3 with cold water, and put on high to boil
- Meanwhile combine olive oil and minced garlic in a small, microwave safe bowl or cup, stir well with a fork, pressing garlic against inside of the bowl. Place oil and garlic mixture in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds until fragrant.
- Combine 1 cup of the heavy cream and unsalted butter into a medium sauce pan over medium heat until it comes to a boil, turn burner to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When water boils, add 2 tbsp kosher salt, stir and add pasta. Cook as instructed until al-dente.
- In a separate medium sauce pan, heat pasta sauce until just starting to bubble.
- Stir the oil and garlic mixture into the red sauce and combine well, reduce burner to low.
- Take frozen broccoli and place into microwave safe bowl with 2 tbsp water. Cook in microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes, strain chop and put aside.
- When the cream and butter has simmered for 10 minutes, stir in remaining 1/4 cup cream and pour into the saucepan with the red sauce in it. Stir well to evenly combine well. Stir in dried oregano and basil. And keep warm over low until pasta finished cooking.
- Strain pasta being sure to reserve about 1/3 cup of pasta water as you do so. Put pasta into large pasta bowl and pour in sauce, and mix it all together with tongs. Let rest for a minute.
- Add broccoli to pasta, tossing with tongs and adding reserved pasta water to loosen.
Serve with garlic bread and a fresh salad and no one will be going hungry, you may even be asked when you can make pasta like this again!